[seminar] seminar Chancellor, Hybrid Computing with Quantum Annealers, 12. 10. 2018., 14h

Hrvoje Buljan hbuljan at phy.hr
Wed Oct 10 15:40:16 CEST 2018

Dear colleagues,

I would like to announce QuantiXLie seminar by Nicholas Chancellor from
Durham University, UK, titled

Hybrid Computing with Quantum Annealers

time: Friday / Petak, 12. 10. 2018., 14h
place: Fizički odsjek, F-201 (2. kat)

Abstract (see attached)

Quantum annealing of artificial spin systems provides a promising route to
solve many interesting optimization and machine learning problems. While
traditionally formulated quantum annealing starts from an equal
superposition of all classical solutions, new techniques have recently been
developed to take advantage of information one may already have about
the solution, either from classical algorithms, or previous calls to the
annealer. In my talk I will discuss a specific new feature which has
recently been added to the superconducting circuit quantum annealers
manufactured by D-Wave Systems Inc. This feature, known as reverse
annealing, allows for a wide variety of hybrid quantum/classical algorithms
which were not previously possible, I will discuss these theoretically, as
well as showing some preliminary experimental results. I will then
highlight some of the future opportunities and challenges related to
reverse annealing.

Hrvoje Buljan