[seminar] [DANAS] F. Franchini, 10.10. (srijeda) 14h (c.t.), seminar ZTF-a

Anđelo Samsarov Andjelo.Samsarov at irb.hr
Wed Oct 10 11:11:39 CEST 2018

    The Frustration in being Odd: area law violation in local systems

     Fabio Franchini
     Ruđer Bošković Institute,
     Division of Theoretical Physics,
     Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Group

    Datum: srijeda, 10. listopada 2018.
    Vrijeme: 14 sati c.t.
    Mjesto: IRB, predavaona I krila

    Sažetak

   We demonstrate the existence of a new quantum phase of matter that
  arises in antiferromagnetic spin chains with a weak frustration
-just one bond in a large chain-. This is the case, for instance,  of
systems with an odd number of spins with periodic boundary
conditions. Such new phase is extended, gapless, but not
relativistic: the low-energy excitations have a quadratic  (Galilean)
spectrum. Locally, the correlation functions on the  ground state do
not show significant deviations compared to the  non-frustrated case,
but correlators involving a number of sites  (or distances) scaling
like the system size display new  behaviors. In particular, the von
Neumann entanglement entropy is  found to follow new rules, for which
neither area law applies,  nor one has a divergence of the entropy
with the system size.  Such very long-range correlations are novel
and of potential  technological interest. We display such new phase
in a few  prototypical chains using numerical simulations and we
study  analytically the paradigmatic example of the Ising chain.
Through  these examples we argue that this phase emerges generally in
  (weakly) frustrated systems with discrete symmetries.
Reference paper
- Salvatore Marco Giampaolo, Flávia Braga Ramos, Fabio Franchini:
arXiv:1807.07055

Voditelj seminara: Anđelo Samsarov (asamsarov at irb.hr)

http://thphys.irb.hr/Seminar/list.htm