[seminar] Astro Journal Club on 27 April - Visitor talk: Milena Ratajczak

Oskari Miettinen oskari at phy.hr
Tue Apr 26 12:50:56 CEST 2016

Dear all,

Our Astro Journal Club will be held on Wednesday at 3:00 pm (sharp) in the
seminar room F-201 of the Physics Department. This time we will have a
visitor talk given by Milena Ratajczak from the Faculty of Physics and
Astronomy, University of Wroclaw, Poland.

Title: B-type stars in eclipsing binaries

Abstract: B-type stars in eclipsing binary systems are unique
astrophysical tools to test several aspects of stellar evolution. Such
objects can be used e.g. to determine the masses of Beta Cephei variable
stars, as well as help to place tighter constraints on the value of the
convective core overshooting parameter. Both precise photometry and
high-resolution spectroscopy with high SNR are required to achieve these
goals, but since many of the targets are bright enough, the challenge is
fair. Following this assumption, I shall explain how we plan to examine
both the aforementioned aspects of stellar evolution using observations of
B-type stars obtained with a wide range of spectrographs, as well as
BRITE-Constellation satellites.

Hope to see you all on Wednesday!

Cheers,
Oskari