[seminar] znanstveni seminar Hrvatskog fizikalnog drustva: utorak, 15.9., 14:15 sati, F-08 (FO)

Vernesa Smolcic vs at phy.hr
Sun Sep 13 12:37:53 CEST 2015

Postovani kolege,

u utorak, 15.9. odrzat ce se na Fizickom odsjeku u prostoriji F-08 u 14:15 sati znanstveni seminar Hrvatskog fizikalnog drustva:

Paolo Padovani, European Southern Observatory, Garching, Njemacka

Particle Physics meets Astrophysics:  Astrophysical counterparts of IceCube neutrinos

IceCube has recently reported the discovery of high-energy neutrinos of
astrophysical origin, opening up the PeV (10^15 eV) sky. These observations
are challenging to interpret on the astronomical side and have triggered a fruitful
collaboration across particle and astro-physics. I will make the case for BL Lacertae objects
to be the counterparts of at least some of the IceCube neutrinos based on: 1. a joint positional
and energetic diagnostic that makes use of high-energy source catalogues and 2. a theoretical
modelling of their spectral energy distributions within a lepto-hadronic scenario. I will then
extrapolate our findings from individual sources to the whole BL Lacertae class by employing
sophisticated Monte Carlo simulations, which reproduce all the main properties of these sources
in the radio, X-ray, and gamma-ray bands. Based on this, I will present a detailed calculation of
the neutrino astrophysical background (diffuse intensity) from the whole BL Lacertae class and discuss
its specific predictions, which should be testable in the next few years by further IceCube data.
The talk is self-contained, requires no previous knowledge of neutrinos or BL Lacertae objects,
and has been prepared for a mixed audience of physicists and astronomers.

Lijep pozdrav,
Vernesa Smolcic