[seminar] Astro Journal Club on 3 June

Oskari Miettinen oskari at phy.hr
Mon Jun 1 19:14:24 CEST 2015

Dear all,

The Astro Journal Club will be held on Wednesday at 10:15 in the seminar
room F-201 of the Physics Department. This time we will discuss about the
CO luminosity - linewidth correlation of submillimetre galaxies.

Presenter: Oskari Miettinen
Paper title: CO luminosity - line width correlation of sub-millimeter
galaxies and a possible cosmological application
Authors: Goto, T., and Toft, S.

(FWHM) has been suggested and denied in the literature. Such claims were
often based on a small, or heterogeneous sample of galaxies, and thus
inconclusive. We aim to prove or dis-prove the L_CO - FWHM correlation. We
compile a large sample of submm galaxies at z>2 from the literature, and
investigate the L_CO-FWHM relation. After carefully evaluating the
selection effects and uncertainties such as inclination and magnification
via gravitational lensing, we show that there exist a weak but significant
correlation between L_CO and FWHM. We also discuss a feasibility to
measure the cosmological distance using the correlation.

Link to the paper: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2015arXiv150500013G

See you all on Wednesday!

Best wishes,
Oskari