[seminar] Astro seminar, Thu, 27.3., 3pm, F-201

Vernesa Smolcic vs at phy.hr
Wed Mar 26 16:25:34 CET 2014

Dear all,

tomorrow, Thursday 27.3., at 3pm (sharp) at the physics department in room F-201 the following seminar will be presented.

Margherita Bonzini, European Southern Observatory, Germany

Star formation and black hole activity in the faint radio sky

The faint radio sky is a complex mixture of star forming galaxies (SFG) and active galactic nuclei (AGN). Therefore, deep radio surveys can be used as a powerful tool to investigate their (co-)evolution up to high redshift.
I exploited one of the deepest VLA survey currently available on the Extended Chandra Deep Field South (E-CDFS) down to ~30 microJy at 1.4 GHz. Using the wealth of multi-wavelength data available in this field, I derived the physical properties of the radio sources (e.g. stellar masses, optical colors, star formation rate) and I combined these information to identify the dominant radio emission mechanism in each source, namely the radio jets or the star formation (SF) in the galaxy. I will present some results on the contribution of the starburst activity in the SFGs population and on the occurrence of AGNs in sources with different level of SF. Finally, I will discuss how the upcoming radio surveys from current and future facilities like the SKA pathfinders, could play a crucial role in the study of the cosmic SF history.

Kind regards,
Vernesa