[seminar] DANAS: Predavanje Shapiro, 11:00 c.t., IRB, I krilo

Larisa Jonke larisa at irb.hr
Wed Mar 27 08:50:28 CET 2013

SEMINAR ZAVODA ZA TEORIJSKU FIZIKU
(Zajednicki seminari Zavoda za teorijsku fiziku,
Zavoda za eksperimentalnu fiziku i Zavoda za teorijsku fiziku PMF-a)

Quantum Gravity from the Quantum Field Theory Perspective

Ilya L. Shapiro
Universidade federal de Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil

Prvo u  SERIJI PREDAVANJA
Institut Rudjer Boskovic, predavaonica I krila
Srijeda, 27. ozujka, 11:00 c.t.

Sazetak:
A short introductory and review course in perturbative Quantum
Gravity. We describe the Lagrangian quantization and sketch the
standard demonstration of diffeomorphism invariant renormalizability
of the theory.
The analysis of power counting shows that there are possibilities for
non-renormalizable, renormalizable and super-renormalizable models of
Quantum Gravity, but in the last two cases we meet a problem of
unphysical massive ghosts and unitarity of S-matrix for gravitons.
Possible solutions of this problem are discussed, including some
related to the effective
approach to Quantum Field Theory (QFT). Alternative possibilities
include various versions (in general, very different) of induced
gravity and also treating Quantum Gravity as effective QFT at low
energies. Some critical considerations concerning the last case are
given.

Voditeljica seminara:
Larisa Jonke