[seminar] DANAS: Seminar: Tomislav Prokopec (cetvrtak, 11.10., IRB, 14:00 sati c.t)

Larisa Jonke larisa at irb.hr
Thu Oct 11 10:40:58 CEST 2012

 INSTITUT "Ruder Boskovic"
 ZAVOD ZA TEORIJSKU FIZIKU
 Bijenicka c. 54, Zagreb, Hrvatska

                 SEMINAR TEORIJSKE  FIZIKE
   (Zajednicki seminari Zavoda za fiziku PMF-a i
        Zavoda za teorijsku fiziku  IRB-a)

Tomislav Prokopec

Utrecht University

"Symmetry breaking in de Sitter space"

   Datum: 11. listopada 2012. (cetvrtak)
   Vrijeme: 14:00 sati c.t.
   Mjesto: IRB, predavaonica I krila

   Sazetak:

 We consider an O(N) symmetric scalar field model in the mean field
approximation and
show that the symmetry can be broken (down to O(N-1)) in de Sitter space. We
find that
the phase transition is of a first order, and that its strength depends
non-analytically on the
parameters of the model. We also show that the would-be Goldstone bosons
acquire a mass,
effectively becoming pseudo-Goldstone bosons. Our results imply that
topological defects
can form during inflation.

   Voditeljica seminara:
   Larisa Jonke (larisa at irb.hr)