[seminar] SEMINAR na IF-u u CETVRTAK, 14.10.2010.

Ivica Zivkovic zivkovic at ifs.hr
Fri Oct 8 19:04:09 CEST 2010

*Institut za fiziku, Bijenička cesta 46,*

*predavaonica u zgradi Mladen Paić*

*četvrtak, 14. listopada 2010, u 15:00 sati*

*Neutron scattering studies of weakly coupled*

*and weakly connected antiferromagnets

*

*Dr. Krunoslav Prša*

*Laboratory for Solid State Ph**ysics *

*ETH Zürich Hönggerberg, Switzerland*

/*E-mail: */_/*kprsa at phys.ethz.ch*/_

*Antiferromagnetic insulators at low temperatures offer a clean arena to
study non--**semiclassical phenomena because the character of
interactions is usually known. These quantum effects are expected to
increase by lowering the couplings or connectivity between the magnetic
moments. Magnetic excitations, which can be easily measured by the
neutron spectroscopy technique, are particularly sensitive to quantum
effects. We here study the weakly coupled tetrahedra system Cu2Te2O5X2
(X=Cl, Br) and weakly connected Cu3TeO6 system. In the Cu2Te2O5X2 system
we observed an unusual situation where an anomalously weak low--energy
Goldstone-- like mode is accompanied by a strong higher energy gapped
mode. We propose that the origin of the discrepancy lies in the quantum
fluctuations originating between the tetrahedra, which were not taken
into account by the theory. In the "spin--web" lattice system Cu3TeO6,
we show that a strong magnon--phonon coupling in this system
significantly changes the properties of the spectrum.*

*Voditelji seminara IF-a: Berislav Horvatić & Ivica Živković*