[seminar] IF-srijeda

Ticijana Ban ticijana at ifs.hr
Fri Feb 1 12:11:41 CET 2008

Poštovani,

Obavještavam Vas o održavanju seminara na Institutu za fiziku, Bijenička cesta 46, predavaonica u zgradi Mladena Paića u srijedu 06. veljače 2008. u 11:00 sati.

Seminar pod naslovom Experiments With Magnetic Colloids održat će dr. Dušan Babić s Fakulteta za matematiku i fiziku u Ljubljani, Slovenija.

Sažetak predavanja možete pronaći u nastavku poruke.

Srdačan pozdrav,
Ticijana Ban

Experiments With Magnetic Colloids

Dušan Babić

University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics

Jadranska 19, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

e-mail: dusan.babic at fmf.uni-lj.-si

            Colloids are widespread in nature and technology so therefore interesting and important physical and biochemical systems. In nature we find them in various forms like clouds, airborne dust, muddy waters and inside living organisms. Their use in technology is no less divergent ranging from pharmacy, paint and food industry etc.

            Unlike in nature or industry the colloidal systems used in our experiments have tightly controlled properties. Most usually these are water solutions of micrometer sized monodisperse beads made of inert materials with a well known surface properties. Such colloidal solutions can be used as a model systems for atomic or molecular systems, as an interparticle interaction probes or as a building blocks in i.e. micro fluidic applications. Particularly useful due to the possibility of precisely controlling the interparticle interaction are the magnetic colloids. In my talk I will present several experiments demonstrating the versatility and flexibility of magnetic colloids in conjunction with most common experimental methods like optical and magnetic tweezers.