[seminar] Seminar @ Institute of Physics, Thursday 23th February 2023 at 14:00, 3rd wing, big lecture hall

Neven Šantić nsantic at ifs.hr
Mon Feb 20 13:49:26 CET 2023

Thursday 23th February 2023 at 14:00, IF 3rd wing, big lecture hall

Dynamics and transport in the vicinity of a quantum phase transition
dr. Félix Rose
Institute for Theoretical Physics, Heidelberg University

A quantum phase transition (QPT) is defined as the qualitative change in the ground state of a system as a nonthermal external parameter (e.g. doping, pressure or magnetic field) is tuned.
While a QPT can only occur at zero-temperature, it has a strong effect on the phase diagram in its vicinity and can give rise to strong correlations.

I introduce the relativistic quantum O(N) model which describes quantum phase transitions such as the Mott insulator-superfluid transition in boson gases trapped in optical lattices or the paramagnetic-antiferromagnetic transition in magnets. I present results about the universal properties of the model in the vicinity of the transition, both thermodynamical and dynamical.

LOCATION: Institute of Physics, 3rd wing, big lecture hall

Seminar hosts : [ mailto:nsantic at ifs.hr | Neven Šantić ] and [ mailto:ddominko at ifs.hr | Damir Dominko ]