[seminar] Nastupno predavanje dr. sc. Marin Petrović u UTORAK 25.04.2023. u 11:00h

Damir Dominko ddominko at ifs.hr
Wed Apr 19 15:08:22 CEST 2023

**utorak, 25. travnja 2023., u 11:00 sati**
****
*Overcoming challenges in synthesis, characterization and manipulation
of epitaxial 2D materials*
**Dr.  sc. ***Marin Petrović*
*Institute of Physics***

Pursuit for new materials with advanced properties led to the discovery
and intense investigation of an entire family of so-called
two-dimensional materials (2DMs), characterized by the ultimate
thickness of only few atoms. These materials possess exciting physical
and chemical properties which are also interesting from the applicative
point of view. Within this talk, I will give an overview of my research
conducted on the globally still very active topic of 2DMs. The overview
includes studies of material synthesis, characterization of physical and
chemical properties as well as integration of 2DMs into more complex
systems and heterostructures. For all these segments of research, a
multi-method approach was applied, including various spectroscopic
(ARPES, XPS, STS) and microscopic techniques (STM, AFM, SEM, LEEM, PEEM)
whose application to 2DM-related questions will be showcased in this
presentation. Specifically, I will address research conducted on
epitaxial graphene, including effects of atomic and molecular deposition
on graphene’s electronic properties. Synthesis of transition-metal
dichalcogenide (TMD) systems and their mechanical properties will also
be discussed. Majority of the talk will be devoted to the fabrication of
epitaxial hexagonal boron nitride (hBN) and borophene in ultra-high
vacuum, including in situ and ex situ characterization of those
materials. Efforts to produce high-quality layers with well-defined
properties, also suitable for transfer and utilization in various
devices, will be presented. Finally, I will provide an outlook of my
future research at the Institute of Physics, with ideas of possible
expansion in terms of new collaborations, equipment and research topics.

Nastupno predavanje će se održati u predavaonici u 1. krilu Instituta.

Predavanje ćete moći pratiti i putem Zoom-a:

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/81347623269?pwd=Nkxnb3dZV211a0VwbjB1ZlhJRm9xdz09

Meeting ID: 813 4762 3269

Passcode: 653142

Predsjednik Znanstvenog vijeća Instituta za fiziku
dr. sc. Damir Starešinić