[seminar] Reminder for Seminar Today @ Institute of Physics, Thursday 3nd Nov 2022 at 11:00, lecture room 3rd wing

Damir Dominko ddominko at ifs.hr
Thu Nov 3 10:14:07 CET 2022

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85015344213?pwd=ZFhWRk4rSXBJY1lZamdpTU1NT0g3QT09
Meeting ID: 850 1534 4213
Passcode: 555884

Thursday 3nd November 2022 at 11:00, IF 3rd wing, lecture hall **

*Tuning quantum properties in correlated fermions systems*
*Victor Baledent*
*Universite Paris Saclay
victor.baledent at universite-paris-saclay.fr
*

Systems with strongly correlated electrons offer a wide range of
remarkable properties. It is this correlation that allows for example
the insulating-to-metal transition or superconductivity. In a large
number of systems, several of these properties can coexist or compete.
The presence of two orders in the very same or adjacent phases implies
the influence of one on the other. This more or less complex
entanglement often results in much more than the trivial sum of the two
properties, paving the way to new remarkable properties. This is the
case of multiferroic compounds where new couplings appear, allowing to
tune the properties with an external parameter.
I will present the example of RMn2O5 (R : rare earth) family of
manganites presenting both magnetic order and ferroelectricity. After
elucidating the origin of the magneto-electric coupling, I will show how
the tunability of its properties is possible using pressure or magnetic
field, and propose the underlying mechanisms. If time permits, I will
also present an example with a larger number of instabilities: BaFe2Se3.
Indeed, we have shown that this compound shows multiferroicity,
superconductivity, a structural transition and an insulator-metal
transition in a reduced area of the phase diagram.

*LOCATION:* *Institute of Physics, 3rd wing*

*Seminar**hosts**: Neven Šantić <mailto:nsantic at ifs.hr> i Damir Dominko
<mailto:ddominko at ifs.hr>*