[seminar] Seminar @ Institute of Physics, Tuesday 22nd Mar 2022 at 11:00, lecture room 1st wing, and Zoom

Damir Dominko ddominko at ifs.hr
Thu Mar 17 13:15:35 CET 2022

Seminar @ Institute of Physics, Tuesday 22nd Mar 2022 at 11:00, lecture
room 1st wing, and Zoom

*Resonant Inelastic X-ray Scattering Experiments at the SEXTANTS
Beamline and Perspectives for RIXS Under Electric and Magnetic Fields**
*
*Dr. Alessandro Nicolaou
*
*Synchrotron SOLEIL, L’Orme des Merisiers, Saint-Aubin, BP 48, 91192
Gif-sur-Yvette,France*

Resonant inelastic X-ray scattering (RIXS) is a photon-in photon-out
technique in which the system is resonantly excited at an absorption
edge and the scattered photons are measured in order to probe the energy
and momentum transfer of the intrinsic excitations, such as electronic,
magnetic or of the lattice. This spectroscopy has been subject of a
remarkable progress in the last decades for its capability of gaining
information of fundamental interest for correlated systems.
At the SEXTANTS beamline of the synchrotron SOLEIL, we perform RIXS
experiments in the soft X-ray regime. After a short presentation of the
technique, I will highlight some of the main experimental results we
recently obtained. One example is represented by the work on
La1-xSrxVO3, a canonical example of correlated system exhibiting a
filling control metal-insulator transition, as well as orbital and
antiferromagnetic orderings at low temperature. I will show how
low-doping (x=0.1) affects the electronic structure primarily on the O
sites, at odds with a simple Mott-Hubbard picture, and how RIXS can
measure orbital excitations and their behavior with temperature. I will
discuss how these results can be only partially understood by a local
model based on crystal field theory calculations.
Finally, I will describe the capabilities of the novel MAGELEC sample
environment, which was conceived for performing RIXS experiments under
electric and magnetic fields in a temperature range from 400 K down to
18 K. MAGELEC consists of sample holder equipped with 12 electrical
contacts, which is combined with a compact quadrupolar magnet delivering
a rotatable magnetic field up to 0.45 T. Thanks to the particular design
of the electromagnet, the whole scattering plane is available for
magnetic circular and linear dichroism RIXS experiments. I will show how
this unique sample environment, accessible for external users since
February 2020, opens new perspectives at the SEXTANTS beamline thanks to
the possibility to tackle several kinds of open questions in the field
of transition metal compounds beyond the accuracy obtained by the widely
used X-ray magnetic circular dichroism and in operando conditions.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/92983064161?pwd=blhQRVkwN3krYlh0bEJKQU1MZjJjZz09
<https://zoom.us/j/92983064161?pwd=blhQRVkwN3krYlh0bEJKQU1MZjJjZz09>
Meeting ID: 929 8306 4161