[seminar] [DANAS] Fech Scen Khoo, 18.12. (utorak) 14h (c.t.), seminar ZTF-a

Anđelo Samsarov Andjelo.Samsarov at irb.hr
Tue Dec 18 10:50:23 CET 2018

   Introduction to Quasinormal Modes of Neutron Stars in General Relativity
    and in R^2 Gravity

     Fech Scen Khoo
     Ruđer Bošković Institute,
     Division of Theoretical Physics,
     Group for Quantum Gravity and Mathematical Physics

    Datum: utorak, 18. prosinca 2018.
    Vrijeme: 14 sati c.t.
    Mjesto: IRB, predavaona I krila

    Sažetak

    I will discuss some aspects of the research related to my
short-term research stay at the University of Oldenburg. We will
mainly touch upon the general basics, beginning with the theory of
General Relativity (GR) and the recently observed astrophysical events
that verified the predictions of the theory, with one of the
accomplishments being the detection of a binary neutron star merger.
The gravitational waves during the ringdown phase are emitted at
characteristic frequencies that can be calculated using the
quasinormal modes. In spite of the success of GR so far, there have
been proposals of modified gravity theories which attempt to overcome
the shortcomings of GR in view of the dark energy for instance. We
will see how the analysis in an alternative gravity theory known as
R^2 gravity works in the quasinormal mode formalism.

Voditelj seminara: Anđelo Samsarov (asamsarov at irb.hr)

http://thphys.irb.hr/Seminar/list.htm