[seminar] Seminar Lemeshko, The angulon quasiparticle, Thursday, 13. 12. 2018., 11h

Hrvoje Buljan hbuljan at phy.hr
Wed Dec 12 15:06:57 CET 2018

Dear colleagues,
this is a reminder for tomorrow's seminar at 11.00 (we have two of them)!
Looking forward
Hrvoje

--------------------------

Dear colleagues,

I would like to announce QuantiXLie and Department of Physics seminar that
will be given by

Mikhail Lemeshko
Institute of Science and Technology Austria (IST Austria)

Title: The angulon quasiparticle: from molecules in superfluids to
ultrafast magnetism

Place: Fizički odsjek, F-201 (2. kat)
Time:  Thursday, 13. 12. 2018., 11h

Abstract:
Recently we have predicted a new quasiparticle - the angulon - which is
formed when a quantum impurity (such as an electron, atom, or molecule)
exchanges its orbital angular momentum with a many-particle environment
(such as lattice phonons or a Fermi sea) [1,2]. Soon thereafter we
obtained strong evidence that angulons are formed in experiments on
molecules trapped inside superfluid helium nanodroplets [3]. The angulon
theory thereby provided a simple explanation for experimental data
accumulated during the last two decades. Moreover, casting the
many-particle problem in terms of angulons amounts to a drastic
simplification and allows to tackle previously intractable problems
related to quantum dynamics [4]. In this presentation we will introduce
the angulon concept and discuss novelphysical phenomena [1,5,6] arising
from the angular momentum exchange in quantum many-particle systems. We
will describe the applications of angulons to modernexperiments on quantum
impurities and on nonequilibrium magnetism [7].
[1] R. Schmidt, M. Lemeshko, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 203001 (2015)
[2] R. Schmidt, M. Lemeshko, Phys. Rev. X 6, 011012 (2016)
[3] M. Lemeshko, Phys. Rev. Lett., 118, 095301 (2017); Viewpoint: Physics
10, 20 (2017)
[4] B. Shepperson, A. A. Sondergaard, L. Christiansen, J. Kaczmarczyk, R.
E.Zillich, M.
Lemeshko, H. Stapelfeldt, Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 203203 (2017)
[5] E. Yakaboylu, M. Lemeshko, Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 085302 (2017)
[6] E. Yakaboylu, A. Deuchert, M. Lemeshko, Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 235301
(2017)
[7] J.H. Mentink, M.I. Katsnelson, M. Lemeshko, arXiv:1802.01638