[seminar] Seminar ZEF-a - C. Collard, 29.11.2017., 14.15 sati, I krilo

Dinko Ferencek Dinko.Ferencek at irb.hr
Mon Nov 27 13:26:04 CET 2017

Zavod za eksperimentalnu fiziku

Zagreb, 23.11.2017.

*S E M I N A R*

**

*Srijeda, 29. studeni 2017. **u**14.15 **sati**, **Predavaonica**I
**krila****IRB*

**

**

*SEARCH FOR NEW PHYSICS AT THE LHC*

/Dr. Caroline Collard/

/Institut Pluridisciplinaire Hubert Curien, Strasbourg/

/Članica kolaboracije CMS/

Abstract:

In this seminar, I will discuss one of the major quests in particle
physics: the search for new physics. The Standard Model (SM) of particle
physics is performing really well in describing the particles of matter
and their interactions. However, it has a number of shortcomings which
make us believe that we need a broader theory, going beyond the Standard
Model (BSM). There are plenty of models on the market, but which one is
the one chosen by Nature? The Large Hadron Collider provides us a great
experimental facility where to conduct our searches. In this seminar, I
will focus on the CMS detector, located at one collision point on the
LHC. I will explain first how we detect the different particles of the
Standard Model. I will then discuss how we search for new particles
taking as an example the searches for Supersymmetry, the most popular
BSM theory. At the end, I will briefly conclude with actual mass limits
on the supersymmetric particles.