[seminar] (8.11.2017. 13:00) What do radio waves teach us about the evolution of galaxies?

Mihael Makek makek at phy.hr
Mon Nov 6 10:45:13 CET 2017

Poštovane kolegice i kolege,

pozivam Vas na seminar koji će održati Mladen Novak sa Fizičkog odsjeka
PMFa pod naslovom:

"What do radio waves teach us about the evolution of galaxies?"

Mjesto: Fizički odsjek, F-201
Vrijeme: srijeda 8. studenog 2017, 13:00 (točno)

Dear colleagues,

I would like to invite you to the seminar by Mr. Mladen Novak from the
Department of Physics, Faculty of Science University of Zagreb:

"What do radio waves teach us about the evolution of galaxies?"

Location: Department of Physics, F-201
Time: 13:00 (sharp) on Wednesday, November 8th, 2017

----SEMINAR ABSTRACT--------------------------------------------------

What do radio waves teach us about the evolution of galaxies?

Radio astronomy provides a dust-unbiased view of galaxies allowing for
studies of physical processes hidden behind the thick veil of interstellar
dust. We use 400 hours of radio interferometric observations performed
with the Very Large Array (VLA) on the two square degree COSMOS field to
probe evolution of galaxies since the universe was only 1 billion years
old. This VLA-COSMOS 3 GHz survey provides the currently largest
radio-selected sample available out to such early cosmic times. From radio
luminosity functions and their evolution, we can estimate the cosmic
star-formation density history of the past 13 Gyr. Our results suggest
that galaxies were the most productive when the universe was 2.5 billion
years old. During that period, about 25% of all newborn stars were being
created in massive galaxies where star formation rates can reach thousands
of solar masses per year. Up to 20% more star formation might be occurring
in highly dust obscured galaxies in the early universe, compared to what
was previously thought. Finally, we use our evolution models to calculate
the radio source counts down to Square Kilometre Array (SKA) sensitivity
limits, thus providing better constraints for the next generation radio
surveys.

This presentation is self-contained and aimed at all audiences, from
students to professors, with no prior astronomy knowledge necessary.

Srdačno,
Mihael Makek