[seminar] Tomislav Prokopec (Wed 31st May, 11:00, F-201)

Ivica Smolic ismolic at phy.hr
Mon May 29 09:47:36 CEST 2017

Dear colleagues,

I would like to invite you to the following seminar,

Dr. Tomislav Prokopec
(Institute for Theoretical Physics, Utrecht, The Netherlands)

"Weyl symmetry in the standard model and gravity"

Wednesday 31st May, 11:00h, F-201

Weyl symmetry is realized in Cartan-Einstein gravity both at the
kinematical and dynamical level because of geometric torsion. The
symmetry can be naturally extended to matter fields by a suitable
generalization of covariant derivative and by supplementing a dilaton
field. Fermionic matter sources skew symmetric torsion while scalar
matter sources vectorial torsion trace (gauge fields do not trace
torsion). This implies that, when matter fields are integrated out,
vectorial torsion and skew symmetric torsion become dynamical. Next, I
will discuss Ward identities and how trace anomaly can be reinterpreted
in this theory. Finally, I will discuss some physical implications of
our results, in particular how torsion can be seen by conventional
gravitational wave detectors.

Best regards,
Ivica Smolić