[seminar] 03.07.2017. Igor Žutić:

Damir Pajic dpajic at phy.hr
Tue Jun 27 18:34:04 CEST 2017

Drage kolegice i kolege,
Drago mi je da mogu najaviti sljedeć‡i Seminar Fizičkog odsjeka:

Dear colleagues,
I would like to invite you to the following Seminar of the Department of
Physics:

ponedjeljak/Monday  03.07.2017. u 10.00 h
room F201 (floor II)

Magnetic Proximity Effects:
 From Graphene and Topological Insulators
to Majorana Fermions

Prof. dr. Igor Žutić
University at Buffalo, State University of New York

Proximity effects can transform a given material through its adjacent
regions to become su perconducting, magnetic, or topologically
nontrivial. The intuition about the proximity effects is well derived
from the superconducting case, known for 85 years [1]. Superconducting
properties can leak out from a superconductor into a neighboring normal
region which by itself would not be superconducting [2]. Remarkably,
superconducting proximity effects can attain orders of magnitude longer
lengths than for magnetic proximity effects that are usually neglected
in bulk materials. However, in monolayer van der Waals materials, such
as graphene or transition metal dichalcogenides, the situation can be
drastically different, even short-range magnetic proximity effects
exceed their thickness [3,4]. We show that gate-tunable magnetic
proximity effects in graphene heterostructures lead to the magnitude and
the sign change of the spin polarization of the density of states in
graphene [3]. While proximity effects are usually considered equilibrium
phenomena (zero bias), in a simple topological  insulator/ferromagnet
junction we predict they are also responsible for unexplored
nonequilibrium properties, including a novel Hall effect [4].
An interplay between superconducting and magnetic proximity effects can
lead to the formation of emergent Majorana bound states which are
neither Fermions, nor Bosons. Instead, exchanging these states yields a
non-commutative phase, a sign of non-Abelian statistics and non-local
degrees of freedom considered to implement fault-tolerant quantum
computing [5]. We will discuss novel two-dimensional (2D) platform to
realize braiding of Majorana bound states [6] and how it can overcome
the limitations of typical proposals relying on 1D structures [7,8].

[1] R. Holm and W. Meissner, Z. Phys. 74, 75 (1932)
[2] O. T. Valls, M. Bryan, and I. Žutić, Phys. Rev. B 82, 134534 (2010)
[3] P. Lazić, K. D. Belashchenko, and I. Žutić, Phys. Rev. B 93,
241401(R) (2016)
[4] B. Scharf, G. Xu, A. Matos-Abiague, and I. Žutić, arXiv:1704.07984,
preprint
[5] C. Nayak et al., Rev. Mod. Phys. 80, 1083 (2008)
[6] G. L. Fatin, A. Matos-Abiague, B. Scharf, and I. Žutić, Phys. Rev.
Lett. 117, 077002
(2016); A. Matos-Abiague, J. Shabani, A. D. Kent, G. L. Fatin, B.
Scharf, and I. Žutić, Sol. Stat. Commun. 262, 1 (2017)
[7] V. Mourik, et al., Science 336, 1003 (2012)
[8] S. Nadj-Perge, et al., Science 346, 602 (2014)

Cjeloviti oglas je u prilogu./Formatted announcement is attached.

Lijep pozdrav / Best regards
Damir Pajić