[seminar] Guest Seminar: 21st June 3pm

Jacinta Delhaize jacinta at phy.hr
Mon Jun 19 13:56:21 CEST 2017

Dear All,

This week we have a visitor from the University of Western Australia. He will give a colloquium about upcoming surveys with the Square Kilometre Array telescope its pathfinders. This will be held during the Wednesday Astro Journal Club spot. Please join us if you can, your attendance is appreciated. The details are below.

Presenter:
Dr Martin Meyer, International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research, University of Western Australia.

Title:
Exploring the Gas-Rich Universe with HI Stacking and DINGO

Abstract:
Neutral atomic hydrogen (HI) is a prime tracer for the assembly of mass, angular momentum and structure in the Universe.  However, existing telescope technologies have significantly restricted the extent of HI emission-line studies in both redshift and volume.  The Square Kilometre Array (SKA) and its pathfinders will revolutionise this field, enabling new studies across large fractions of cosmic time.  I will provide an overview of DINGO, a new deep survey to be conducted with the Australian SKA Pathfinder, as well as recent scientific and technical progress in the field of HI stacking. By carrying out HI observations of the multi-wavelength GAMA fields, DINGO will enable reference studies of HI emission over the past 4 billion years, and new understandings of the connection between gas, stars, star formation, and environment.  I will also provide an update on the SKA telescope itself.

Time & location:
Wednesday 21st June, 3 p.m. (sharp) in the seminar room F-201 of the Physics Department

Kind regards,
Jacinta
---
Jacinta Delhaize