[seminar] Astro Journal Club on February 3rd, FRIDAY, 11 a.m.

Lana Ceraj lceraj at phy.hr
Tue Jan 31 15:31:35 CET 2017

Dear all,

this week on Astro Journal Club Dr. Paul Beck is going to introduce us into exciting field of asteroseismology.

Astro Journal Club (this week only) starts on Friday at 11 a.m. (sharp) in the seminar room F-201 of the Physics Department.

Presenter: Dr. Paul Beck, Service d'Astrophysique, CEA Paris-Saclay, France

Title: Asteroseismology of Red-Giant and Solar-Analogue stars in the golden age
of space photometry and ground based spectroscopy

Abstract:
Asteroseismology is one of the main tools to study the large quantities of data, provided by space missions like CoRoT, Kepler. Especially rewarding
targets are solar-oscillators. This group populates the full range of stellar evolution between the main sequence and various red-giant phases. Vital to the interoperation of space photometry is ground-based
spectroscopy, which benefits from new observing facilities, such as the Mercator telescope. In this talk we will discuss the major advances in observations and theory that have been achieved from space photometry and underline the role of double-lined binaries for the understanding of stellar physics. In particular two cases of red giant binary systems are presented, for which we combine the techniques of seismic analysis and spectral disentangling. By doing so, we can investigate changes of fundamental parameters and stellar abundance pattern between the two stellar components and study stars, as a function of their mass difference and watch stellar evolution in action.

If you have recently read interesting astrophysics paper you would like to present, please contact me via e-mail: lceraj at phy.hr <mailto:lceraj at phy.hr>

See you all on Friday.

Cheers,
Lana