[seminar] Seminar of Physics Department, April 19th

Lana Ceraj lceraj at phy.hr
Fri Apr 14 16:46:36 CEST 2017

Dear all,

we invite you to the seminar of the Physics Department which will be held in Seminar room F-201 of the Physics Department starting at 11 a.m on Wednesday, April 19th.

Speaker: dr. sc. Petar Mimica, Departament d’Astronomia i Astrofísica, Universitat de Valencia,Spain

Title: A theoretical study of magnetic fields and emitting particles in blazar jets

Abstract:
Blazars are compact active galactic nuclei and sources of broadband emission whose relativistic jet presumably points directly towards us. They are among the most energetic sources in the universe and are a subject of very intense research. I will present the results of an eight-year theoretical study that tried to understand magnetic field strength and the emitting particle distribution in blazar jets. We developed an efficient numerical code based on a sophisticated theoretical model and are able to produce multiwavelength blazar flares with arbitrary magnetic field strengths. We show quantitatively to what extent the magnetic field strength and the proportion of the non-thermal particles have an influence on the spectral features. Furthermore, we show how our modeling can be applied to attempt to explain properties of the sample of gamma-ray blazars observed by Fermi, as well as the existence of different blazar subclasses.

Also on Wednesday Dr. Mimica is going to have a lecture “Relativistic plasma in active galaxies” starting at 4 p.m. in the room F12 of the Physics Department.

Best regards,
Lana Ceraj