[seminar] Astro Journal Club on November 30th

Lana Ceraj lceraj at phy.hr
Mon Nov 28 13:58:23 CET 2016

Dear all,

this Wednesday Astro Jorunal Club starts at 3 p.m. (sharp) in the seminar room F-201 of the Physics Department.

Presenter: prof. Tijana Prodanović, University of Novi Sad, Serbia

Title: Cosmic-Ray Acceleration in Galactic Interactions and its Implications

Abstract:
It has been shown that galactic interaction and mergers can result in large-scale tidal shocks that propagate through interstellar gas. As a result, this can give rise to a new population of cosmic rays, additional to standard galactic cosmic rays present in star-forming galaxies. We investigate the impact of this tidal cosmic-ray population on the nucleosynthesis of lithium in interacting systems in the context of the cosmological lithium problem. Moreover we also demonstrate that the presence of these tidal shock-waves and may also have far reaching consequences on our understanding of galactic evolution and star formation history, by affecting the far-infrared radio correlation observed in star-forming galaxies.

Links to the papers: 	http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2013PhRvD..87j3014P <http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2013PhRvD..87j3014P>
					http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2015MNRAS.453..638D <http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2015MNRAS.453..638D>

If you’ve recently read interesting astrophysics paper and you want to present it, please contact me via e-mail: lceraj at phy.hr <mailto:lceraj at phy.hr>

See you on Wednesday.