[seminar] Astro Journal Club on November 23rd

Lana Ceraj lceraj at phy.hr
Mon Nov 21 14:08:14 CET 2016

Dear all,

this Wednesday on Astro Jorunal Club Krešimir is going to talk about
properties of void galaxies in the Void Galaxy Survey.

Journal Club starts at 3 p.m. (sharp) in the seminar room F-201 of the
Physics Department.

Presenter: Krešimir Tisanić

Title: The Void Galaxy Survey: photometry, structure and identity of void
galaxies

Authors: B. Beygu et al.

Abstract:
We analyze photometry from deep B-band images of 59 void galaxies in the
Void Galaxy Survey (VGS), together with their near-infrared 3.6 micron and
4.5 micron Spitzer photometry. The VGS galaxies constitute a sample of
void galaxies that were selected by a geometric-topological procedure from
the SDSS DR7 data release, and which populate the deep interior of voids.
Our void galaxies span a range of absolute B-magnitude from MB=-15.5
to MB=-20, while at the 3.6 micron band their magnitudes range from
M3.6=-18 to M3.6=-24. Their B-[3.6] colour and structural
parameters indicate these are star forming galaxies. A good reflection of
the old stellar population, the near-infrared band photometry also provide
a robust estimate of the stellar mass, which for the VGS galaxies we
confirm to be smaller than 3*10^10 M_sol. In terms of the structural
parameters and morphology, our findings align with other studies in that
our VGS galaxy sample consists mostly of small late-type galaxies. Most of
them are similar to Sd-Sm galaxies, although a few are irregularly shaped
galaxies. The sample even includes two early-type galaxies, one of which
is an AGN. Their Sersic indices are nearly all smaller than n=2 in both
bands and they also have small half-light radii. In all, we conclude that
the principal impact of the void environment on the galaxies populating
them mostly concerns their low stellar mass and small size

Link to the paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1609.04920v1.pdf

If you've recently read interesting astrophysics paper you would
like to present, please contact me via e-mail: lceraj at phy.hr

Currently filled slots are November 30th and December 7th.

See you on Wednesday.

Cheers,
Lana