[seminar] 15.11.2016. Vinko Zlatić: Color avoiding percolation

Damir Pajic dpajic at phy.hr
Mon Nov 14 11:37:43 CET 2016

Drage kolegice i kolege,
Drago mi je da mogu najaviti sljedeć‡i seminar:

Dear colleagues,
I would like to invite you to the following seminar:

utorak/Tuesday  15.11. u 14.15 h
room F201 (floor II)

Joint seminar of the Department of Physics and Center of Excellence QuantiX:

Color avoiding percolation

Vinko Zlatić
Ruđer Bošković Institute

In many complex systems representable as networks, nodes can be
separated into different classes. Often these classes can be linked to a
mutually shared vulnerability. Shared vulnerabilities may be due to a
shared eavesdropper or correlated failures. In this paper, we show the
impact of shared vulnerabilities on robust connectivity and how the
heterogeneity of node classes can be exploited to maintain functionality
by utilizing multiple paths. Percolation is the field of statistical
physics that is generally used to analyze connectivity in complex
networks, but in its existing forms, it cannot treat the heterogeneity
of multiple vulnerable classes. To analyze the connectivity under these
constraints, we describe each class as a color and develop a
color-avoiding percolation. We present an analytic theory for random
networks and a numerical algorithm for all networks, with which we can
determine which nodes are color-avoiding connected and whether the
maximal set percolates in the system. We find that the interaction of
topology and color distribution implies a rich critical behavior, with
critical values and critical exponents depending both on the topology
and on the color distribution. Applying our physics-based theory to the
Internet, we show how color-avoiding percolation can be used as the
basis for new topologically aware secure communication protocols. Beyond
applications to cybersecurity, our framework reveals a new layer of
hidden structure in a wide range of natural and technological systems.

Cjeloviti oglas je u prilogu./Formatted announcement is attached.

Lijep pozdrav / Best regards
Damir Pajić