[seminar] seminar, 30.5., 3pm: The Next Generation Very Large Array

Vernesa Smolcic vs at phy.hr
Sun May 29 17:48:24 CEST 2016

Dear all,

a seminar with the following topic is scheduled for Monday, May/30, 3pm, room: F-201

Speaker: Chris L. Carilli, NRAO, USA

The Next Generation Very Large Array

I will present the design, capabilities, and some of the priority
science goals of a next generation Very Large Array (ngVLA). The ngVLA
is an interferometric array with 10 times larger effective collecting
area and 10 times higher spatial resolution than the current VLA and
the Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA), optimized for operation in
the wavelength range 0.3cm to 3cm.  The ngVLA opens a new window on
the Universe through ultra-sensitive imaging of thermal line and
continuum emission down to milliarcecond resolution, as well as
unprecedented broad band continuum polarimetric imaging of non-thermal
processes.  The continuum resolution will reach 9mas at 1cm, with a
brightness temperature sensitivity of 6K in 1 hour. For spectral
lines, the array at 1'' resolution will reach 0.3K surface brightness
sensitivity at 1cm and 10 km/s spectral resolution in 1 hour. These
capabilities are the only means with which to answer a broad range of
critical scientific questions in modern astronomy, including direct
imaging of planet formation in the terrestrial-zone, studies of
dust-obscured star formation and the cosmic baryon cycle down to
pc-scales out to the Virgo cluster, making a cosmic census of the
molecular gas which fuels star formation back to first light and
cosmic reionization, and novel techniques for exploring temporal
phenomena from milliseconds to years.  The ngVLA is optimized for
observations at wavelengths between the superb performance of ALMA at
submm wavelengths, and the future SKA-1 at few centimeter and longer
wavelengths.

See: https://science.nrao.edu/futures/ngvla

We hope to see you there.

Kind regards,