[seminar] Astro Journal Club on 11 May

Oskari Miettinen oskari at phy.hr
Mon May 9 19:46:15 CEST 2016

Dear all,

Our Astro Journal Club will be held on Wednesday at 3:00 pm (sharp) in the
seminar room F-201 of the Physics Department. This time we will discuss a
recent paper on a star-forming ring around Kappa Orionis.

Presenter: Oskari Miettinen
Paper title: A Star-forming Ring around Kappa Ori 250 pc from the Sun
Authors: Pillitteri, I., Wolk, S. J., and Megeath, S. T.
Paper status: Published in ApJL (2016, 820, L28)

They allow us to identify young stars even after they have lost the IR
signatures of circumstellar disks and provide constraints on their
distance. Here, we report on XMM-Newton observations that detect 121 young
stellar objects (YSOs) in two fields between L1641 S and Kappa Ori. These
observations extend the Survey of Orion A with XMM and Spitzer (SOXS). The
YSOs are contained in a ring of gas and dust apparent at millimeter
wavelengths, and in far-IR and near-IR surveys. The X-ray luminosity
function of the YSOs detected in the two fields indicates a distance of
250-280 pc, much closer than the Orion A cloud and similar to distance
estimates of Kappa Ori. We propose that the ring is a 5-8 pc diameter
shell that has been swept up by Kappa Ori. This ring contains several
groups of stars detected by Spitzer and WISE including one surrounding the
Herbig Ae/Be stars V1818 Ori. In this interpretation, the Kappa Ori ring
is one of several shells swept up by massive stars within the Orion
Eridanus Superbubble and is unrelated to the southern portion of Orion
A/L1641 S.

Link to the paper: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2016ApJ...820L..28P

See you all on Wednesday!

Cheers,