[seminar] Marta Alves: Highlights from the Planck mission, 15.03. (utorak) u 14:15h, F08

Vibor Jelic vibor at irb.hr
Mon Mar 14 10:07:52 CET 2016

Znanstveni seminar Hrvatskog fizikalnog društva
utorak, 15. ožujka 2016. u 14h, predavaona F08, Fizički odsjek, PMF

Science Seminar of Croatian Physical Society
Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 2pm, room F08, Department of Physics, Faculty of Science

dr. sc. Marta Alves
The Research Institute in Astrophysics and Planetology (IRAP), Toulouse, France

Highlights from the Planck mission
The Planck satellite was launched in 2009 and observed the sky at microwave and infrared frequencies during 4.5 years. Planck was the third generation space mission to measure the anisotropies of the cosmic microwave background (CMB), after the COBE and WMAP satellites. Accordingly, it provided a map of the CMB anisotropies at unprecedented resolution and sensitivity, from which an updated set of cosmological parameters was derived. Notably, the weak CMB signal was extracted from the Planck multi-frequency maps that are completely dominated by emission from our own Galaxy. So finally Planck was also a powerful instrument for Galactic and extragalactic astrophysics. I will review some of the major results from the Planck mission, from the CMB to the Galactic interstellar medium, with a special focus on the new all-sky polarization observations.