[seminar] Astro Journal Club on 8 June - Visitor talk: Andrew Butler

Oskari Miettinen oskari at phy.hr
Tue Jun 7 15:21:34 CEST 2016

Dear all,

Our Astro Journal Club will be held on Wednesday at 3:00 pm (sharp) in the
seminar room F-201 of the Physics Department. This time we will have a
visitor talk given by Andrew Butler from the International Centre for
Radio Astronomy Research, University of Western Australia.

Title: The 2.1 GHz Radio Mosaic of the XXL-South Field: Properties and
Source Characterisation

Abstract: I will discuss the properties of the 2.1 GHz radio mosaic image
of the 25 deg2 XMM-Newton Extragalactic Legacy Survey (XXL) South field.
This X-ray field was imaged from 1-3 GHz with the Australia Telescope
Compact Array (ATCA) over 290 hours as part of a radio follow-up to the
XXL survey.  One of the main goals of the XXL project is to provide a
lasting legacy for studies of active galactic nuclei (AGN), probing their
nature, demographics and evolution across cosmic time.  We have found a
total of ~6500 radio sources, most of which are AGN, above 5 sigma down to
a median rms noise of 41 microJy/beam at a resolution of ~5 arcseconds.
This makes the ATCA image of XXL-South the largest area radio survey ever
taken down to these flux density levels. I will display a few example
radio sources, show how we characterised them, and explain the
completeness and biases inherent in the mosaic. I will also present radio
source counts and preliminary radio luminosity functions of the field and
compare them to other radio surveys.

Hope to see you all on Wednesday!

Cheers,
Oskari