[seminar] Astro Journal Club on 4 November

Oskari Miettinen oskari at phy.hr
Mon Nov 2 16:13:02 CET 2015

Dear all,

Our Astro Journal Club will be held on Wednesday at 3:00 pm (sharp) in the
seminar room F-201 of the Physics Department. This time we will discuss
about high-resolution ALMA observations of X-ray detected AGN.

Presenter: Ivan Delvecchio
Paper title: ALMA resolves extended star formation in high-z AGN host
galaxies
Authors: Harrison, C. M., Simpson, J. M., Stanley, F., et al.

imaging of five z~1.5-4.5 X-ray detected AGN (with luminosities of
L(X)>1.0e42 erg/s). The sub-millimetre emission is extended on scales of
FWHM~0.2"-0.5", corresponding to physical sizes of 1-3 kpc (median value
of 1.8 kpc). These sizes are comparable to the majority of z=1-5
sub-millimetre galaxies (SMGs) with equivalent ALMA measurements. In
combination with spectral energy distribution analyses, we attribute this
rest-frame far-infrared (FIR) emission to dust heated by star formation.
The implied star-formation rate surface densities are 20-200
Msol/yr/kpc^2, which are consistent with SMGs of comparable FIR
luminosities (i.e., L(IR)~ [1-5]x1.0e12 Lsol). Although limited by a small
sample of AGN, which all have high FIR luminosities, our study suggests
that the kpc-scale spatial distribution and surface density of star
formation in high-redshift star-forming galaxies is the same irrespective
of the presence of X-ray detected AGN.

Link to the paper: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2015arXiv151006740H

Hope to see you all on Wednesday!

NOTE: If you are willing to present a paper, please just let me know. At
the moment all the slots starting from 11 November are open.

Cheers,
Oskari