[seminar] Astro Journal Club on 27 May: Guest Speaker Minh Huynh

Oskari Miettinen oskari at phy.hr
Mon May 25 13:26:24 CEST 2015

Dear all,

The Astro Journal Club will be held on Wednesday at 10:15 in the seminar
room F-201 of the Physics Department. This time we will have a guest
speaker, Dr. Minh Huynh from the International Centre for Radio Astronomy
Research (ICRAR, University of Western Australia).

Title: ATCA 2.1GHz Observations of the XXL-S Field: Survey Description and
Initial Results

Abstract:
The XXL is the largest survey ever with the XMM-Newton XRay telescope,
comprising 6.9 MS spread over two 25 sq degree fields, the XMM-LSS field
(XXL-N RA=2:18, Dec=-5:17) and the BCS-XMM field (XXL-S at RA=23:30,
Dec=-54:30). The main goals of the XXL project are to probe cosmology
using galaxy clusters and to study galaxy evolution with a large sample of
AGN. As part of the ongoing multiwavelength followup to achieve these
science goals, in 2012 a pilot radio survey was performed on the Australia
Telescope Compact Array to cover the central 5 sq deg of XXL-S at 2.1 GHz,
achieving a sensitivity of ~50 microJy rms. We observed the remaining 20
sq deg of the XXL-S in late 2014. Here we present the ATCA 2.1 GHz image
of the full 25 sq deg of the XXL-S, which has an rms noise of ~40 microJy
and a resolution of ~5 arcsec. This is the largest radio survey ever at
these flux density levels. We identify ~7000 radio sources, of which most
are AGN.

Hope to see you all on Wednesday!

Cheers,
Oskari