[seminar] Podsjetnik na DANAŠNJI seminar na IF-u u 15:00h

Niksa Krstulovic niksak at ifs.hr
Tue May 19 10:30:23 CEST 2015

Poštovani,
podsjećamo Vas na današnji seminar na Institutu za fiziku u 15:00 sati:

Institut za fiziku, Bijenička cesta 46,

predavaonica u zgradi Mladen Paić utorak, 19. svibnja 2015., u 15:00 sati
Natural and nature-inspired hydrogen-bonded pigments – an emerging class of conducting molecular materials

Eric Daniel Głowacki
Linz Institute for Organic Solar Cells (LIOS), Physical Chemistry, Johannes Kepler University, Linz, Austria

It has recently been found that many natural-origin molecular chromophores form highly organized crystalline solids with promising semiconducting properties. This favorable crystallization is driven by an interplay of π-π interactions and intra- and inter-molecular hydrogen bonding. These patterns of hydrogen bonding are ubiquitous in supramolecular organization in the biology, making this class of semiconducting materials particularly interesting for potential bioelectronics applications, where the low-cost, nontoxicity, and intrinsic biocompatibility of these materials makes them attractive. I will report on our group’s recent work indigo and related compounds. These natural dyes, exploited throughout the world for centuries, form highly-ordered thin films with excellent Π-stacking and complementary intermolecular hydrogen-bonds. Using such films, we have demonstrated field-effect transistors and complementary-like circuit elements utilizing exclusively natural materials operating at the state-of-the-art level with respect to mobility and operational stability in ambient conditions. These dyes show air-stable ambipolar charge transport with balanced hole and electron mobilities in the range of 1×10 -2 – 2 cm 2 /Vs. Such performance places these molecules among the best organic semiconducting molecules reported to-date. Hydrogen-bonding causes strong intermolecular electronic coupling, resulting in optical properties dominated by excimeric and charge-transfer effects. Several properties, such as high dielectric constant, make these H-bonded materials resemble inorganic crystalline semiconductors rather than disordered organic polycrystalline materials. In this seminar, I will discuss crystallization of these materials, both in bulk and on surfaces, and provide some device examples, focusing in particular on inorganic/organic heterojunction device concepts between hydrogen-bonded pigments and silicon.

Voditelji seminara IF-a: Nikša Krstulović i Osor Bari šić

*************************
Nikša Krstulović, PhD
Research associate

Institute of Physics