[seminar] Seminar na IF-u - 30. travnja 2015. 15:00h - Prof. Shun Muto

Osor Barisic obarisic at ifs.hr
Fri Apr 24 11:36:38 CEST 2015

Institut za fiziku, Bijenička cesta 46,

predavaonica u III krilu
četvrtak, 30. travnja 2015., u 15:00 sati

Recent development of EMCD technique: toward spin nanoscopy using STEM-EELS

Prof. Shun Muto

Center for Advanced Measurement Techniques, EcoTopia Science Institute, Nagoya University, Japan

Electron magnetic circular dichroism (EMCD), a counterpart of better established XMCD, has been expected to provide a method for evaluating element-selective local spin moments of ferromagnetic materials at nanometric resolution. Since the first proposal of EMCD measurement using TEM-EELS (Transmission Electron Microscopy and Electron Energy-Loss Spectroscopy), several serious difficulties have laid before us for its practical applications, particularly for quantitative analysis. We have overcome step-by-step these difficulties to reach a stage where EMCD is really applicable to a part of materials of interest. In this talk we introduce a basic concept of MCD, techniques of EMCD measurement and their technical difficulties, and then present recent successful examples, finally followed by several on-going studies toward ‘spin nanoscopy’ in future.

Voditelji seminara IF-a: Nikša Krstulović i Osor Bari šić