[seminar] Astro Journal Club

Oskari Miettinen oskari at phy.hr
Mon Oct 13 15:03:36 CEST 2014

Dear colleagues,

We will meet again on Wednesday, 15 October, for our weekly Astro Journal
Club at 10:00 am in the seminar room F-201 of the Physics Department
(please note the new day and time). This week we will have a guest
speaker, Ivan Delvecchio, who will start as a new postdoc at the
Department in January 2015. The title and abstract of Ivan's talk can be
found below.

As a reminder, the Journal Club meetings are held in English and are
informal and open to everyone. Please contact Oskari Miettinen and/or
Mladen Novak if you want to present a paper.

Hope to see you all on Wednesday at 10:00 am.

With best regards,
Oskari Miettinen

---------------------------
Title: The Herschel view of AGN accretion and galaxy star formation

Abstract:
Several studies have been claiming that active galactic nuclei (AGN) play
a fundamental role in shaping the evolution of galaxies. We exploited deep
Herschel data in the far-infrared and sub-millimeter, combined with
multi-wavelength ancillary data, to characterise the UV-to-submillimeter
spectral energy distributions (SEDs) of large samples (about 4500) of star
forming
galaxies and measure their possible AGN emission component. First, I will
describe how broad-band SED-fitting decomposition allows us to isolate
active galaxies and trace the cosmic AGN accretion history since z~3.
Later on, I will discuss the mutual relationships between AGN activity,
star formation rate (SFR) and stellar mass (M*) in Herschel
galaxies,"mapping" the average AGN accretion rate in the SFR-M* plane at
different cosmic epochs.