[seminar] seminar na IF-u, 19. srpnja 2011. u 15:00h

Vlasta Horvatic blecic at ifs.hr
Tue Jul 12 10:58:13 CEST 2011

      Institut za fiziku, Bijenicka cesta 46,

      predavaonica u zgradi Mladen Paic

      utorak, 19. srpnja 2011. u 15:00 sati

      Future Challenges of Surface Science

      Prof. dr. Klaus Wandelt

      Institute of Physical and Theoretical Chemistry, University of Bonn, Germany

      and

      Institute of Experimental Physics, University of Wroclaw, Poland

      E-mail: k.wandelt at uni-bonn.de

      "Surface Science" has reached a deep understanding of the specific physical properties and chemical processes at solid surfaces. In principle, surface structures can be determined with "subatomic" spatial resolution, and chemical processes can be monitored with femto-second time resolution. Major scientific surprises in this field, like the invention of the scanning tunneling microscope or the catalytic properties of gold, have become rare. Thus, surface research could go on as usual or can take on really new challenges. In this lecture I will support my personal view with a number of examples that the most obvious challenge lies in the transition from surface- to interface-science, i.e. the transition from well-defined single crystal surfaces under ultrahigh vacuum conditions to realistic interfaces under environmental conditions, i.e. from simplicity to complexity.

      http://www.chemie.uni-bonn.de/pctc/wandelt/forschung

      Voditelji seminara IF-a: Vlasta Horvatic i Ivica Zivkovic