[seminar] PETER HOMMELHOFF (PMF, 15.01., 14:15 sati)

hbuljan at phy.hr hbuljan at phy.hr
Fri Jan 15 07:09:09 CET 2010

Poštovane kolegice i kolege,

podsjećam na današnji zajednički kolokvij Fizičkog odsjeka PMF-a
i Instituta za fiziku (petak 15.01. u 14:15 u predavaonici F102),
koji će održati Peter Hommelhoff sa Max Planck instituta za kvantnu
optiku iz Garchinga.

Srdačan pozdrav,
HB
15.1.2010. u 14:15, Fizički odsjek, Bijenička c. 32, predavaonica F102
    Zajednički kolokvij Fizičkog odsjeka i Instituta za fiziku

  FEW-CYCLE LASER BASED ELECTRON EMISSION FROM FIELD EMISSION TIPS:
    A CLOSE LOOK AT THE PHYSICS BEHIND VARIOUS EMISSION PROCESSES
                          AND APPLICATIONS

                          Peter Hommelhoff
                 Max-Planck-Institut fĂźr Quantenoptik
                     peter.hommelhoff at mpq.mpg.de

Field emission tips are known to be the brightest electron sources.
Recently, advanced emitters such as single atom tips and carbon
nanotubes have been developed. In parallel, the output of pulsed laser
oscillators has reached durations down to only a few optical cycles;
also, direct control of the laser electric field is now possible.
Investigations of (coherent) electron dynamics in solids with the help
of femtosecond laser pulses has revealed a whole lot of fascinating
results. Here, we describe our efforts to gain knowledge about the details
of few-cycle laser based electron emission from field emission tips. In
energy-resolved measurements we observe emission regimes of different
nature such as multiphoton emission, photo-assisted field emission, and
above-threshold photoemission. We discuss recent results in detail. We
will also present applications in quantum optics experiments as well as
novel tools of photonics and microwave based electronic motion control.

--
(voditelji seminara: Hrvoje Buljan, Berislav Horvatić‡ & Marko Kralj)