[seminar] Kolokvij FO, Dunjko

hbuljan at phy.hr hbuljan at phy.hr
Tue Sep 1 05:51:10 CEST 2009

Poštovani kolege,

podsjećam na današnje predavanje u 14.15 sati na Fizičkom odsjeku.

Srdačan pozdrav,
Hrvoje Buljan

KOLOKVIJ FIZIČKOG ODSJEKA

Vrijeme:   utorak, 1. 9. 2009., 14:15 sati (točno)
Mjesto:     Fizički odsjek, Bijenička c. 32, predavaonica F201

  Thermalization in isolated classical and quantum systems

                  Dr. Vanja Dunjko

                Department of Physics
         University of Massachusetts at Boston

That many-body systems thermalize is a ubiquitous fact, but there are
still open questions as to precisely why this happens. On the classical
side, we will review some recent results on thermalization in the
classical field theory that approximates the Bose-Hubbard model. We find
that chaos and thermalization are highly, but not perfectly, correlated,
and that the transition from regular to chaotic dynamics is not explained
by the usual theory of overlapping nonlinear resonances (or, for that
matter, by any other theory we are aware of). On the quantum side, we
demonstrate thermalization in an isolated generic (i.e.
far-from-semiclassical) quantum system. Time evolution turns out to play a
merely auxiliary role in relaxation; thermalization instead happens at the
level of individual eigenstates, in accordance with the Eigenstate
Thermalization Hypothesis of Deutsch [Phys. Rev. A 43, 2046 (1991)] and
Srednicki [Phys. Rev. E 50, 888 (1994)].

				Voditelj seminara FO
				Hrvoje Buljan, hbuljan at phy.hr