[seminar] DANAS: NADER ZAKI (IF, 29.10., 15 sati)

IF Seminar seminar at ifs.hr
Thu Oct 29 06:33:33 CET 2009

Poštovani,

podsjećamo Vas na današnji seminar na Institutu za fiziku,
koji će u 15 sati u predavaonici u zgradi Mladen Paić održati
Nader Zaki sa Sveučilišta Columbia u New Yorku.
Nader Zaki je trenutno gost na Institutu za fiziku u sklopu
bilateralne suradnje, Materials World Network (Prof. Osgood,
Columbia - dr. Kralj, IF).

          AN STM STUDY OF ATOMIC COBALT WIRES
                      Nader Zaki
Applied Phyisics & Mathematics Department, Columbia University
                     nzaki1 at gmail.com

Due to stronger electron-electron interactions, 1-D systems are predicted
and, in some cases, have been shown to exhibit unique and exotic electronic
properties. One route to the formation of 1-D systems is by self-assembly
using low-index vicinal crystal surfaces. In this regard, we have
successfully formed 1-atom wide Co wires using Cu(775), a 7-atom wide stepped
array with (111) terraces. For our particular morphology, the Co wires are not
laterally encapsulated but are positioned exactly at the step edge. We have
performed STM studies of this system at room temperature (RT) and have made
STS measurements at low temperature (LT), ~5K. While vicinal Cu(111) does
exhibit "frizz" at the steps when scanning above cryogenic temperatures,
the Co wires pin the edges, visually accentuating their presence under STM.
Furthermore, we observe a lower local density of states for the Co wires as
compared with the Cu steps at RT, which also serves to differentiate the
two metals.
At LT, a Co chain at the step edge induces a Friedel-like oscillation that is
not present at a bare Cu step. Cu(111) possess a surface projected bandgap
which may electronically decouple the wire electrons that reside in this gap.
However, we also see resonances at the Fermi level which suggests electronic
coupling between the vicinal Cu surface and the Co electrons.

(voditelji seminara IFa, Berislav Horvatić & Marko Kralj)