[seminar] 2 predavanja na FO, Przystawa

hbuljan at phy.hr hbuljan at phy.hr
Wed May 27 16:49:11 CEST 2009

Poštovani kolege,

ljubazno sam zamoljen od Doc. T. Vukelje da oglasim dva popularna
predavanja Prof. Jerzyja Przystawe (University of Wroclaw, Institute of
Theoretical Physics), koji gostuje na Sveucilista u Zagrebu od
1. do 5. lipnja 2009.

Naslovi, sažetci, točna vremena i mjesto održavanja (F08 na Fizičkom
odsjeku) nalaze se u nastavku poruke.

Srdačan pozdrav
Hrvoje Buljan

Physics Investigating the Origin of the Universe
           Prof. Jerzy Przystawa:

Ponedjeljak, 1. lipnja, 17.00 sati,
Predavaonica F08 Fizickog odsjeka, Bijenicka 32.

Two Nobel Prizes in  Physics, 1978 and 2006, were given to physicists, who
discovered and examined the Microwave Cosmic Background Radiation (MCBR).
I shall present the idea of MCBR, the long and curvy way which lead to its
discovery, the controversies around it and the great effort put into
examining its properties. On this example I am going to describe how
physics works, the interplay of theory and experiment, how various ideas
originate in physics, how physicists go about them, how difficult is to go
against a paradigm, and  how important our discoveries may be.

Symmetry and Symmetry Breaking in Physics and Nature
         Jerzy Przystawa

Utorak, 2. lipnja, 17.00 sati,
Predavaonica Fizickog odsjeka, Bijenička 32.

Referring to the Nobel Prize in Physics of 2008 I shall describe the idea
of symmetry in physics and nature and the role of symmetry in discovering
the real world. I shall discuss how symmetry leads to various conservation
laws, what are the internal symmetries and how they lead to revolutionary
discoveries in physics of the last century, to Einstein's relativity, to
Dirac's discovery of the anitimatter and to discoveries in the world of
elementary particles. I shall present the idea of spontaneous symmetry
breaking and its importance in the physical world.