[seminar] DANAS (15 sati) Seminar Prof. R. M. OSGOOD

seminar at ifs.hr seminar at ifs.hr
Thu Jan 15 08:43:48 CET 2009

Poštovani,

Podsjećamo Vas na održavanje seminara na Institutu za fiziku
danas, 15. siječnja u 15 sati (u zgradi Mladen Pajić), koji
će održati prof. Richard M. Osgood sa Electrical Engineering i
Applied Physics odsjeka na Columbia sveučilištu u New Yorku.

 Spectromicroscopy of single and multilayer graphene supported
             by a weakly interacting substrate

                      Richard M. Osgood
 Higgins Professor of Electrical Engineering and Applied Physics
              Columbia University, New York, NY 10027
                  E-mail: osgood at columbia.edu

While graphene's distinctive Dirac-cone electronic structure and
simple 2D atomic structure have attracted major interest in the
physics community, inherent limitations in the size of available
exfoliated graphene samples have made it difficult to study this
system with conventional UHV probes such as photoemission and low
energy electron diffraction (LEED). Thus, previous photoemission
and LEED studies of graphene have probed epitaxial films grown
crystalline substrates. While epitaxial graphene can form large
area sheets, exfoliated graphene on SiO2 continues to be the system of
choice for transport experiments as it is relatively easy to
gate and has shown the most interesting and impressive electrical
properties [1,2]. Using the high spatial resolution of the
Nanospectroscopy beamline at the Elettra synchrotron light source, we have
overcome these size limitations by utilizing micro-spot
low energy electron diffraction (micro-LEED) and micro-spot angle
resolved photoemission (micro-ARPES) to study exfoliated graphene. In this
talk, I will present the details of our diffraction and
photoemission results. LEED measurements provide information
about the surface morphology of monolayer and multilayer graphene
sheets, which are not atomically flat, but microscopically
corrugated. Our photoemission measurements probe the unique
massless fermionic dispersion of monolayer graphene.

In addition, I will also spend several minutes summarizing other
current research projects in photoemission/ STM studies in our
group at Columbia, including 2PPE, He-cooled STM, and reactive
oxide formation.

[1] K.S. Novoselov et al., Science 306, 666 (2004).
[2] Y.B. Zhang et al., Nature 438, 201 (2005).

Srdačan pozdrav,

Voditelji seminara IF-a
(Ticijana Ban i Marko Kralj)