[seminar] IRB, A. Kheifets, Cetvrtak-14:00

Tihomir Surić suric at irb.hr
Tue May 15 19:26:05 CEST 2007

Institut «Ruder Boškovic»
Zavod za eksperimentalnu fiziku
Zagreb, 02.05.2007.

S E M I N A R

Cetvrtak, 17. svibnja 2007., 14.00 sati, predavaonica I krila IRB

ATOMIC COLLISION PROBLEMS WITH TWO-ELECTRON CONTINUUM:
CONVERGENT CLOSE-COUPLING APPROACH

Professor ANATOLI KHEIFETS
FAPS, Institute of Advanced Studies
Research School of Physical Sciences The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200, Australia

Abstract:

There is a large class of atomic collision
problems which requires an accurate knowledge of
the scattering wave function with two unbound
electrons. This includes electron impact
ionization of hydrogen, double photoionization of
helium and more complex reactions. Up until
recently, these problems eluded any realistic
solution. In this talk, I will present a list of
challenges these problems pose and the latest
advances made to address these challenges.
Particular emphasis will be made on the
convergent close-coupling method, a recent
"success story" of atomic collision physics.

I. Bray, D. V. Fursa, A. S. Kheifets and A. T.
Stelbovics: Theory of electrons and photons
colliding with atoms, J. Phys. B 35(16):R117-R146, 2002