[seminar] IF-danas

Ticijana Ban ticijana at ifs.hr
Thu Dec 20 11:12:58 CET 2007

Poštovani,

podsjećam Vas na današnji seminar na Institutu za fiziku u 15:00 sati.
Seminar pod naslovom Quantum oscillations and some other new results for cuprate superconductors održat će prof. John Robert Cooper iz Cavendish laboratorija u Cambridgu, Velika Britanija.
U nastavku poruke možete pronaći kratki sažetak predavanja.
Napominjem da će se zbog tehničkih razloga seminar održati u Predavaoni I, prvog krila Instituta za fiziku.

Srdačan pozdrav,
Ticijana Ban
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quantum oscillations and some other new results for cuprate superconductors

J.R. Cooper, Physics Department, University of Cambridge, U.K.

The first report of high temperature superconductivity (HTSC) in a layered cuprate perovskite was made 20years ago  Since then one of the major goals of condensed matter physics has been to understand the mechanism for HTSC in the cuprates but such

understanding has so far remained elusive.  The recent experimental observations of quantum oscillations  (QOs) [1-5] in two cuprates in high magnetic fields at low temperatures could be an important leap forward that may well help to elucidate the mystery of HTSC.  In this talk I will summarise some of the experimental data especially those of ref. [2] and attempt to link them with low field properties at higher temperatures such as the heat capacity.

If time permits I will report preliminary results from another promising avenue - the possible identification of boson structure in intrinsic tunnelling spectra of Bi:2212 crystals above the gap edge[6] and also the main idea of a recent model calculation of scanning tunnelling spectra [7].

[1] N. Doiron-Leyraud et al., Nature 447 565 (2007)

[2] E.A. Yelland et al., arXivcond-mat 0707.0057 to appear in Phys.Rev. Letts.

[3] A.P. Bangura et al., arXivcond-mat 0707.4461 to appear in Phys.Rev. Letts.

[4] D. LeBoeuf et al., Nature (2007)

[5] D. Jaudet et al., arXivcond-mat 0711.3559

[6] T. M. Benseman Ph.D thesis Unversity of Cambridge (2007)

[7] J.R. Cooper, Phys. Rev. B76, 064509 (2007).