[seminar] Kolokvij FO, Nordstrom

hbuljan at phy.hr hbuljan at phy.hr
Tue Apr 24 05:58:49 UTC 2007

Poštovani kolege,

Podsjećam na današnje predavanje.

Srdačan pozdrav,
Hrvoje Buljan

KOLOKVIJ FIZIČKOG ODSJEKA

Vrijeme:   utorak, 24. 04. 2007., 14:15 sati (točno)
Mjesto:    Fizički odsjek, Bijenička c. 32, predavaonica F08

              OUR GALACTIC NEIGHBOURHOOD -
              A MELTING POT OF MIGRATION

                Prof. Birgitta Nordström
         Niels Bohr Institute, Copenhagen University,
                   Copenhagen, Denmark

Spiral galaxies are an important part of the visible Universe. In the
prototype, our own Milky Way, we can observe the most important component
of a spiral galaxy - the disk - in unprecedented detail. In the Solar
neighbourhood we can determine the numbers, ages, detailed chemical
compositions, and galactic orbits of stars from the entire history of the
disk with a completeness and accuracy not available anywhere else in the
Universe. Therefore, the solar neighbourhood is a fundamental benchmark
for all models of the evolution of galaxy disks.
The Geneva-Copenhagen Survey (Nordström et al. 2004) has full spatial,
kinematic, metallicity and age information for 14,000 long-lived stars and
provides a rich source of data for tests of models of evolution and
formation of the Galaxy. We find that classical evolution models for the
Galactic disk fail several of the standard tests related to the stellar
metallicity distribution, age-metallicity relation, and age-velocity
relation. Both dynamical and kinematic evolution need to be taken into
account in sufficient detail by the models to match the best data. A
search for signatures of past accretion events in the Milky Way (Helmi et
al. 2006) has yielded evidence of ancient substructure in the Galactic
Disk.

			   Voditelj seminara i kolokvija FO
			    Hrvoje Buljan, hbuljan at phy.hr